Foolhardy Wish Fulfillment

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Viciously Milk

Last night I had some pretty good times. I went out to diner with friends from work (and some of their friends too) to celebrate my birthday. It was an evening of good food, surprisingly good random wine (fermented Honey, the mead runs well, [stupid French labels]), good people and good talk.

I think I earned the quote of the evening. A student from the CSA was describing a bull fight that he got to see while he was in Spain visiting relatives. He was telling us that before the big bulls come out that children are allowed to fight calves and as they move up through the age categories they face larger and larger livestock. So young teenagers face full grown cows, rather than the raging bulls. The way he described it was that the teenagers get to do their thing with these cows in the arena. That sort of struck me funny, and the wine was certainly a factor in this as well. I asked "So they are viciously milked?". There is a bit of a pause. I asked rather quietly in a large busy restaurant, and they weren't exactly sure what I said. "What was that Stuart?" "Viciously milk" I reply. There is another little pause...I could see slightly baffled looks cross their faces as they process, and all of a sudden the entire table breaks out laughing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home